Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Well my dearest and longest friend Charise Andrus Monson lost her father on Sunday. It has been a very emotional week. Tuesday was the viewing. I showed up at 6 p.m. (I wanted to be there at 5:30 because I knew there would be lots of people) well there were lots of people it went in the south side wrapped around to the north side of the building into the gymnasium on the west side went to the east side of the gymnasium back to the south east side out the gymnasium door on the south side then we went east into the Relief Society room did you get all that? We stood in line for 2 hours. It was so fun to see all the siblings of Charise. I only wish it was in better circumstances.
Now if anyone knows me they know how close Charise and I were growing up. We were at each others houses almost everyday. The Andrus family was like a second family to me. I love them all so much, I enjoy their company, all her Sisters husbands have been so kind to me, her brothers are awesome, everyone of them holds a special place in my heart.
So of course Doug was like a father to me. He was such a great example to me. He was very devoted to the Lord, he loved the Lord and everyone knew it. I remember him always studying his scriptures. There was never a day missed for family scripture study, believe me I was there for quite a few of those scripture study nights. He always treated the guest so special. I remember a couple of times when I was there for breakfast, Deanna had made mush and I did not like it so Doug let me have corn flakes. I remember Stan and Jared whining "why does she get corn flakes and we have to have mush" Doug's reply was "she is our guest" one sunday dinner I was there eating with them and he gave me the first serving of meat and again I heard "Why does she get the good meat with the less fat" Doug's reply again was "she is our guest." Know you would think this would end after me practically living there for 12 years but no he still treated me as a guest and I recieved special treatment.
I remember a story he always told from his mission. He knocked on the door of a gentleman and the man's said "sorry I am Catholic" Doug's reply was "I am sorry too." He was very bold. The man just chuckled. I cannot remember if he actually taught him or not I just remember that part of the story. He was always a missionary.
I remember almost everytime we went into town either with Deanna or with one of her sisters we would stop by the office and get a candy bar or soda out of the vending machine. It was awesome.
Charise and I would go up to Doug and say to him "Say do you know what? You've got stuff all over your face" then he would chase after us. We loved doing that. I am sure he got tired of doing it but he was a great sport about it.
Wednesday was the funeral. I was alone Chris had to work and the kids were in school (plus They did not know Doug so it would not be right for me to take them) Anyway when I arrived I was walking on the sidewalk to the doors. I looked over and there was Elder L. Tom Perry I stopped and said Hello. He asked me what was the best way to get into the building. I said well the only way was the doors on the south side. I told him all the other doors were locked. His reply "they are locked what will they do next" I just chuckled. Wow just to be in the presence of an apostle just for that one moment was an amazing feeling. The funeral service was amazing the spirit was so strong in there. It felt more like Stake Conference than a funeral, although I had a lot more tears here than at Stake conference. All his children, sons-in-law, and daughters-in-law did such a wonderful job singing. It was beautiful! The church was so packed they had it broadcasted into 3 other rooms in the building.
My heart goes out to Deanna what a sweet and amazing lady she is. I know she will keep herself busy with her children and grandchildren, and serving others as she always has but she will have some lonely nights. I know she loved Doug so dearly. I wish there is something I can do, someway I could tell her how much she means to me, and how much I think about her and her well being. I love the Andrus family so much I hope they all know it.
Well I think I have rambled on enough.

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading that. I have only heard amazing things about him and you know, I hope that someday when I am gone that people remember me in that way too, its what I strive for, its such a great thing to have such wonderful examples like him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomie you are so sweet! It was fun to read your post. I didn't know that you had a blog...I may have to "blog stalk" you now! :)

    ReplyDelete